Root Canals by Our League City Family Dentist
A root canal is a procedure that your League City Dentist performs when an infection is present that threatens the health of the tooth. In the past, dentists often had to extract, or pull, infected or damaged teeth, but a root canal saves the tooth and protects it from reinfection.
Reasons Your League City Family Dentist May Perform a Root Canal
Root canal treatment is performed when your League City family dentist notices that the pulp, which is the soft tissue that lies inside the tooth, becomes infected or inflamed from bacteria or injury. If our League City dentist or League City pediatric dentist necessitates root canal treatment, it could be due to severe decay, a cracked or chipped tooth, or a failing crown.
If you notice any of the following, they are signs that our League City dentist may need to perform a root canal:
- Sensitivity to hot and cold food and drink
- Swelling or tenderness along the gumline
- Severe pain upon chewing or biting
- Darkening of the tooth
What You Can Expect During a Root Canal Procedure From Our League City Dentist
The term “root canal” often invokes fear and anxiety in patients, but most people claim the procedure doesn’t feel much different than a routine filling. If you are directed to schedule root canal treatment with our League City dentist, here’s what you can expect during the procedure:
- Step 1: Your tooth will be numbed by local anesthesia to keep you comfortable. Then we'll place a latex shield on the tooth to keep it dry and free from saliva. Our League City dentist will then make an opening in the crown of the tooth to access the pulp below.
- Step 2: Our League City dentist will remove the pulp, along with any bacteria and debris, from the tooth. The dentist may apply medication to prevent reinfection.
- Step 3: The root canal is sealed and then a temporary filling is placed on the crown to protect the tooth as it heals.
The Benefits of a Root Canal From Our League City Family Dentist
You shouldn’t experience any pain following root canal treatment; in fact, most patients are thrilled to learn the pain they experienced before the procedure is gone. Because root canals remove bacteria from an infected tooth, this results in less discomfort, inflammation, and sensitivity. The procedure also saves your tooth from extraction and protects it from future infection.
When Should You Ask Our League City Dentist About Root Canals at Autumn Family Dentistry?
If you are experiencing pain, sensitivity, or have a cracked or chipped tooth, it’s time to contact Autumn Family Dentistry by calling (281) 626-5631 today to save your teeth and your smile. We’ll help you request an appointment with our League City dentist for yourself, or our League City pediatric dentist for your children and ensure the lasting health of your teeth.